Monday, October 02, 2017

67. TORINO -Tavola Doc 2– Type of Teacher


In my limited experience I have found that one can group male culinary teachers into two groups: thoughtful and egoistical (or old[er] and young[er]) – a wild generalisation, I know. For some reason, testosterone perhaps, younger male teachers seem more interested in showing off. Be that as it may, at Tavola Doc Claudio Buraglini was in his 60s with a life-time of experience behind him. He was also a thinking man when it came to cooking and a modest person. Ego did not interfere between instructor and student.
Claudio runs a restaurant on the weekends for friends and students and holds classes during weekdays. He also lectures on food around the province. His background is in the culinary business as his father had been a chef and owned a restaurant, so he learnt literally from the ground up. He also holds down a regular job. Not surprising he has had more than one bypass surgery!
What I gleaned besides the preparation of the actual recipes was information or tips on general procedures and kitchen craft, – a lot of which one would not get in a group lesson. He assumes his students will also think things out, and so his recipes are often quite open, in that he gives the quantities for the main ingredients but leaves the minor ones to one’s taste. Blind following will not succeed, but on the other hand, it allows one to stamp the outcome with one’s own taste.
Claudio cooked and demonstrated, and I was quite happy. One could, of course, ask to participate in the cooking, but I preferred to watch and listen. I had the recipe, his comments as he cooked or I asked questions, and I took photos, and more photos. When I returned home I collated my notes with the recipes [which I translated] and the photos. Since I returned I have been trying out the recipes, and when needed, I have asked Claudio for further advice.